Tuesday, May 22, 2018

How to Crochet a 2000 Beach Sun Hat


 Hello Everyone, My name is Lyza. Crochet is my number one hobby. Crocheting a hat is my favorite. I would like to share to you my newest crocheted hat pictured above. I named it "2000 Beach Sun Hat". Year 2000 is when the first time I learnt Crochet and it was all basic stitches which I applied to this hat.

Here's the free pattern below. For personal use only.
2000 Beach Sun Hat by Lyza Walters
Yarn used: Medium 4 weight yarn 100 percent Acrylic(You can use medium 4 weight, 100% cotton).
Yarn color used: White, Blue, Turqua, Baby pink, pretty ‘n pink(You can pick any color you like)
Crochet hook: 4.mm
 Also used a TRIMMER LINE in the last round of the brim
 Hat's size-Adult size(my Styrofoam head mannequin circumference is 21 inches & the hat fits perfectly not tight and not too loose).

Abbreviation used:
Dc- double crochet
Beg.Dc-Beginning double crochet
Beg.sc-beginning single crochet
Beg. hdc-Beginning half double crochet
Ch- Chain
Sl st- slip stitch
Rnd- round
 Sc-Single Crochet
Hdc-Half double crochet
Sts-stitches
St-stitch
Rpt-repeat

Notes:
1. Join with slip stitch to the top of beginning DC/Sc/hdc throughout rounds.
2.Tension is very tight. My advice is to crochet slowly to make sure the stitches are tight & even.
3.( )-repeat the pattern inside it only.
4. Do the beg.sc,hdc,& dc in the same stitch as joint.

Hat’s circle
Hat’s circle diameter is 6.25 inch.

Video here on how I crochet the hat's circle and also how I begin the Dc.
 https://youtu.be/vom2GGjEDbQ ..You can begin the double crochet in other way as long as you have the right count of stitches.

With white yarn
Begin with magic ring
Rnd 1: 
Single Crochet loosely then ch 1(counted as first Dc), 11 Dc into the ring. =12Dc

Rnd 2: 
Beg. Dc(counted as first dc throughout rounds), Dc in same stitch. 2 Dc in each stitch around. =24 Dc

Rnd 3: 
Beg. Dc, 2 Dc in next 1 stitch, (Dc in next 1 stitch, 2 Dc in next 1 stitch)- rpt around= 36 Dc

Rnd 4: 
Beg. Dc, Dc in next 1 stitch, 2 Dc in next 1 stitch, (Dc in next 2 stitches, 2 Dc in next 1 stitch)- rpt around.= 48 Dc

Rnd 5: 
Beg. Dc, D  in next 2 sts, 2 Dc in next 1 stitch, (Dc in next 3 stitches, 2 Dc in next 1 st)- repeat around = 60 Dc

Rnd 6: 
Beg. Dc, Dc in next 3 sts, 2 Dc in next 1 stitch, (Dc in next 4 stitches, 2 Dc in next 1 st)- repeat around = 72 Dc

Rnd 7: Rnd 5: Beg. Dc, Dc in next 4 sts, 2 Dc in next 1 stitch, (Dc in next 5 stis, 2 Dc in next 1 st)- repeat around = 84 Dc

Hat’s Body
Rnd 8: Beg. dc, dc in each st around. =84 Dc
Rnd 9 to 16: Repeat round 8.=84dc

Brim:
Note: Watch here how I begin an HDC https://youtu.be/N-SolpHtv38 and do the same technique for beginning sc. (You can begin the half double crochet  & single crochet in other way as long as you have the right count of stitches).
 .
Note: How I count the stitches faster? From round 2 to 14, stitches are increasing by 12 in every round. I only count my increased stitches most of the time. If I have 12 then it's good. For Example in round 2, 2hdc in next 1 stitch(it's counted as one increased stitch). Sometimes I count my stitches in between of my increased stitches because sometimes I mistakenly skipped one stitch. Example in round 2, (hdc in next 6 sts, 2hdc in next 1 stitch)-repeat. Meaning you have 6 hdc in between of the increased stitches all the way around. Beg. Hdc plus hdc in next 5 sts equals 6 sts.

Rnd 1:Beg. Sc(counted as first sc throughout rounds), sc in each st around =84 sc

Rnd 2:Beg. hdc(counted as first sc throughout rounds), hdc in next 5 sts, 2 hdc in next 1 st, ( hdc in next 6 sts, 2 hdc in next 1 st)-rpt around
=96 hdc

Rnd 3: Beg. sc, sc in next 6 sts, 2 sc in next 1 st, ( sc in next 7 sts, 2 sc in next 1 st)-rpt around=108sc

Rnd 4: Beg. hdc, hdc in next 7 sts, 2 hdc in next 1 st, (hdc in next 8 sts, 2 hdc in next 1 st)-rpt around =120hdc

Rnd 5: Beg. sc, sc in next 8 sts, 2 sc in next 1 st, ( sc in next 9 sts, 2 sc in next 1 st)-rpt around=132sc

Rnd 6: Beg. dc, dc in next 9 sts, 2 dc in next 1 st, ( dc in next 10 sts, 2 dc in next 1 st)-rpt around =144dc

Rnd 7: Beg. sc, sc in next 5 sts, 2 sc in next 1 st, ( sc in next 11 sts, 2 sc in next 1 st)-rpt 10 times. Sc in last 6 sts=156sc

Rnd 8: Beg. dc, dc in next 11 sts, 2 dc in next 1 st, ( dc in next 12 sts, 2 dc in next 1 st)-rpt around =168dc

Rnd 9:Beg. sc, sc in next 5 sts, 2 sc in next 1 st, ( sc in next 13 sts, 2 sc in next 1 st)-rpt 10 times. Sc in last 8 sts. =180sc

Rnd 10: Beg. dc, dc in next 13 sts, 2 dc in next 1 st, ( dc in next 14 sts, 2 dc in next 1 st)-rpt around. After slip stitching, do chain 1 & pull it tight to end the white or fasten off.=192dc

Note:  For changing colors. Slip knot, insert hook in first st & pull up a loop, yarn over & draw 2 loops on hook(counted as beg. sc)

Rnd 11: With blue, Beg. sc, sc in next 14 sts, 2 sc in next 1 st, ( sc in next 15 sts, 2 sc in next 1 st)-rpt around=204sc

Rnd 12: Turqua, Beg. sc, sc in next 15 sts, 2 sc in next 1 st, ( sc in next 16 sts, 2 sc in next 1 st)-rpt     around=216sc

Rnd 13: pretty ‘n pink. Beg. sc, sc in next 16 sts, 2 sc in next 1 st, ( sc in next 17 sts, 2 sc in next 1 st)-rpt around=228sc

Rnd 14: baby pink. Beg.sc, sc in next 8 sts, 2 sc in next 1 st, ( sc in next 18 sts, 2 sc in next 1 st)-rpt 10 times. Sc in last 10 sts =240sc

Rnd 15: Watch here https://youtu.be/EHYJPr8q-vQfor the last round. It’s where I used the trimmer line. It's sc in each st around =240Sc. Wave the brim the way you like.

Braided Hat band
4 strands of each color (blue, turqua & baby pink) 80 inches long, tied it together & braid it.

I hope it helps. I'm not an advanced crocheter. I still considered myself as a beginner. I started taking down notes while crocheting a project on my own. This is how I learnt writing the pattern. Happy crocheting. Have a beautiful day!!! If you have questions, Feel free to ask me.

3 comments:

  1. I learned to crochet in 2014 by watching youtube videos. I searched and searched for sunhat pattens and I only found 2 in the type I wanted. Sunday 9/13/2020 I found your Ball Cap video. I made that hat too, but I did not use 2 strands on the brim and it looks ok, but I should have used 2 strands. You stated you were a beginner, but I saw glimpses of your other videos and it doesn't seem to me that you are a beginner. I've never heard of the sc cord st and I learned how to better tighten my close of the round, it's awesome. I definitely cannot write patterns. I would love to learn how to read chart patterns, but I get distracted by wanting to crochet, it's weird. Thanks so much for sharing you patterns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Yes I was a beginner when I just started making tutorials and blog. Thank you so much. I'm sorry for very late reply. I just read your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you tell me how I would add the beads and stitches from the sparkly sun hat on You Tube to this hat before crocheting the brim? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete